Featured Member

member image
ice-water

Who's Online

7 Guests Online
4 Users Online

Live Bookmarks

Polls
What style of martial arts do you study?

Top Tips for street self-defence

Related Forum Topics:
   Distance Learning Programs/Experiences
   Internal Power For Street Self Defense
   can he kill any street, silat or bjj fighter?

Top Tips for street self-defence - 2006/12/09 09:38 what's your Top Tips for street self-defence ?

Mine would have to be:-

1) be aware, dangers can often be avoided if you notice them in the distance.

2) fight until you're in a position to run.
  | | | The administrator has disabled public write access.
re:Top Tips for street self-defence - 2006/12/10 08:16 Dont be there in the first place
Re:Top Tips for street self-defence - 2007/01/06 20:32 thescottishdude wrote:
what's your Top Tips for street self-defence ?

Mine would have to be:-

1) be aware, dangers can often be avoided if you notice them in the distance.

2) fight until you're in a position to run.

Interesting thoughts.

I work at the Hospital as a Protection Services Officer. It is my job to hold patients down to assist with medical procedures, as well as to protect nursing staff from patients. The gear we are allowed to carry consists of a radio, a set of keys, and mechanicals (handcuffs). No gun, no baton, no mace, no taser.

About 3 weeks ago I responded to a call where a psychiatric patient was trying to break a window with a small table. I was the second PSO (Protection Services Officer) to arrive just seconds after the first. As soon as we got there the patient backed up into a corner and made ready to throw the table at us. I noticed he had a table from the beginning, I was aware that at any second during this altercation that table could connect with my face. My partner and I still had to rush in, and gain control.

Just to finish my story because I am sure someone out there would like to know what happened. My partner told the patient to put the table down, the patient didn't. More or less the patient said "I am going to smash your faces in".

My partner rushed in first closely followed by myself. My partner knocking the table down, while I followed and bear hugged the patient to prevent him from strike at us with his arms. Both my partner and I used several knee strikes to the common peronia, follwed by a straight arm bar take down to the ground. By the time we were on the ground a third PSO showed up and assisted with handcuffing. The three of us carried the patient back to room, where patient was sedated and we removed handcuffs.

The point behind my story is that sometimes running isnít an option. I think my top tip for self defense would be let everything be an ambush. Go from 0 to 100% as fast as possible. An example someone starts to come towards you, back away putting both hands up and saying you do not want to fight, if the attacker has their heart set on a fight they will continue forwards. When the attacker is in range you have both hands up ready to do something and you have the element of surprise.
Respectfully,

Jonathan

"Some of us are like a 10 speed bike; most of us have gears we never use." - Joe Eigo

"the greatest gift that martial arts can give is destruction of the ego"

"Life is just a mountain, and each martial art is just another way to the top."

www.arniscalgary.com
Re:Top Tips for street self-defence - 2007/01/08 17:22

My old master always used to say:
"there are two rules of angagement - only the strong survive, and don't do to the other what you don't want to be done to you".
Meaning:
1. thescottishdude wrote: Go from 0 to 100% as fast as possible
2. Rickster wrote: Dont be there in the first place
Re:Top Tips for street self-defence - 2007/01/08 22:49 student wrote:

My old master always used to say:
"there are two rules of angagement - only the strong survive, and don't do to the other what you don't want to be done to you".
Meaning:
1. thescottishdude wrote: Go from 0 to 100% as fast as possible

"don't do to the other what you don't want to be done to you"

I disagree with that, I say do pretty much do everything that you wouldn't want done to you. If an attacker pulls a knife on you, its business, eye gouge him, stomp his groin when he is on the ground, stomp on his head. Anything to ensure your survival. Plus you give him a good reason to think twice about attacking someone with a knife again.

Furthermore, as one of my friends and a well respected Martial Artists in the FMA community says. "Lex Talionis is Latin for the Law of Retaliation. In legal context, it is defined as retributive justice. Some might say 'an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" is a example of this thinking. Or in other words, having the punishment be equal to or greater than the crime perpetrated." Example: someone trys to shank you, so you shank them instead.

Post edited by: Jonathan, at: 2007/01/08 23:04
Respectfully,

Jonathan

"Some of us are like a 10 speed bike; most of us have gears we never use." - Joe Eigo

"the greatest gift that martial arts can give is destruction of the ego"

"Life is just a mountain, and each martial art is just another way to the top."

www.arniscalgary.com
Re:Top Tips for street self-defence - 2007/01/10 17:16 Let me clarify.

Before combat start, try to avoid it as much as possible.
You avoid it not only in order not to be harmed, but also in order not to harm the other. Sometimes the agressor might be related to you...

But, if a combat does start, retaliate to full volume asap, as only the strong survive. Even if the agressor did not pull a knife, he might decide to do it any second, so you better not let him get to this second...

{Emotions-00020080.gif}

Related Products:
   Great Sonny Chiba Street Fighter Movies (the Street Fighter / Return O...
   Inside Tai Chi: Hints, Tips, Training & Process For Students And Teach...
   Street Combat: Willie "the Bam" Johnson's Guide To Understanding, Avoi...