+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new to martial arts

Re:new to martial arts

taking input from people is always a good idea. a great place to start. but i'd really suggest checking different schools and styles for yourself. the reason being everyone has different areas they are interested in. even if self defense you will find different aspects that might not be to your liking.

some schools might teach you to defend yourself only. some might teach you to attack first if you feel threatened. others can teach you to disable your opponent and then stop without doing any real damage unless absolutely needed. and then you have the ones that teach you how to kill your opponent and that you should go all out and take the opponent out as hard as you can.

i'm not saying any one way is wrong. i'm not saying any style is better suited than another. i am encouraging you to search out a style you feel comfortable with. kind of like religion. you wont go to church when you dont agree with what they are saying or teaching just because 5000 others go to it and say it is the right place to go.

one thing to remember, get a good foundation and you can always add to it. you can branch out from what you learn. just make sure you learn what you feel you need.

double posted. sorry<br><br>Post edited by: osrkd_101, at: 2009/12/26 20:42

Only click once on the post button, and that will not happen.

Okay, time to get real, bud. You've taken a few classes-- I've been a capoeirista for years.

Anyways, don't take capoeira if you want no-nonsense fighting. Some schools teach you how to fight using capoeira, but it's rare. However, they will teach you how to trick, dance, stay in shape (more so than alot of styles will get you in), play instruments, sing, dodge just about anything that comes your way, etc. Not to mention the philosophy behind it is beautiful. But take it from a guy that's been in your shoes before. If you take capoeira, but also crave straight combat, take a supplemental martial art. For example, in addition to capoeira, I currently train in escrima and boxing. It's a good mix, somehow.

But to all you capoeira skeptics: It might not be a great pure fighting style, but capoeira gets you in better shape than most styles and I've personally been injured more and injured more people through capoeira. For Christ's sake, last Tuesday I knocked someone out on accident during a roda and last year an instructor practically painted the floor with my face!

There is a video out on youtube on some guy knocking out an opponent in an MMA fight using capoeira; however, I think that this is a rare event.

I am actually intrigued with how they do martial arts, the dancing way in capoeira. I find it really sexy but I can't see how they can they fight while dancing.

Personally I think Capoeira is quite cool as an art. Agreed, it may not be the most combative of arts, but it's amazing to watch. I love arts that teach realistic techniques for SD, however let's face it, the majority of folks never get into a physical altercation. Especially if they are wise about where they go and who they associate with. For someone wanting to push themselves physically and combine gymnastice, athleticism, and MA this is a great art. I wish I was younger and had more time and had someplace I could give it a shot!

Capa is definitely a cool art. However you have to be supple in order to do it. I went to my first Aikido lesson in over a year on Sunday. It got me into a sweat for the hour lesson i did (out of a possible 2), which was good enough for me! Aikido teaches moves which are directly replicable onto a street situation imo.

+ Reply to Thread