Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Three Most Effective Arts for the Street.

The Three Most Effective Arts for the Street.

I've done alot of thinking on the subject, and I strongly feel like if a person was to study three martial arts their whole life, and never touch the others, that they should be

Krav Maga
    http://www.israelikrav.com/
    Systema
    http://www.russianmartialart.com/
    and Keysi Fighting Method
    http://www.keysikfm.com/

The ambassadors for these arts that I have met and witnessed leads me to believe these three martial arts are the most effective for the real world today.

(On a brief tangent, I find this funny that I came to this conclusion, as the majority of my training was in asian fighting styles, and those three are from elsewhere, which is rare.)

What does everyone think on the topic?

I only recognize Krav Mega which deals a lot with defending against short range weapons and multiple opponents. Its good but you think maybe it tries to cover a whole lot of ground and doesn't take the time to go deeper into certain aspects of the fight? Systema and Keysi Fighting Method both sound like systematic styles with pre-ordained strategies and I know Krav Maga is. The no-holds barred systematic stuff will work against most people but just in case someone has the skill to work their way around it you should also know a more loose style like muay thai. This is my opinion and I might be wrong.

You know I guess it depends on what situations you get into while your in "the Street". Two or 3 guys come at you with knives to mug you, sure, Krav Maga all the way. Punk with brass knuckles tries to jump you, well, you might want to take it down a notch.

How cool, the one problem I have with Krav Maga you pointed out right away. Well put, Sifuasher. However, it isn't as harsh as one would think. They emphasize using only as much force as neccesary.
    Also, I agree, Muay Thai is amazing, epecially against someone who has the guts for follow-up attacks. The reason I feel those three are SO effective is for a general overview of the 'real world'. (ex; If you had to pick three martial arts to master, and travel the streets of cities all over the world, utilizing them) And I felt them to be the most rounded, scientific, lasting, adaptable, and realistic.
    Krav Maga has those real world applications, and drills simple reactions into your mind, as well as immpecable strength and form.
    Keysi has the strikes meant for close in combat, and is virtually un-trackable, their practitioners closing in on you and beating your sides with lighting quickness, not too mention some of the best blocking technique ever.
    Systema has the mechanics and science to engrain the mathematics of a fight into your mind, and allows seemingly effortless domination over the enemy through precision and excellence of execution.
    These factors are the ones that lead me to hold these arts as the saviours for the progression of effective martial arts application in todays society.

Re:The Three Most Effective Arts for the Street.

Any martial will do in a street scenario. It depends upon the experience, martial arts IQ, and expertise of the practitioner. I have witnessed a lot of practitioners of different martial arts disciplines beaten by other from different martial arts discipline. Martial arts is useless without experience and composure especially during street fights and defending one's self.

The very reason I realized this idea is that because I have experienced this first hand myself. A lot of people say that Taekwondo is not an effective martial art, especially on the streets. I've been a Taekwondo practitioner myself and I was able to use my Taekwondo knowledge and skills in defending myself against 3 people.

Martial arts is really not effective not until you'll be able to know how to use it. All martial art disciplines are effective, learn, scrutinize, and look for other, better, and a lot comfortable ways on how to use it.

That is very rounded and good advice, Yokam. Well spoken. However, I think you misunderstood the intention of this thread, it was inteaded not to say other martial arts are inferior, but to say which three serve the cookie cutter human being today.
    I agree with you, any system, practiced dilligently will triumph in most combat situations, but I believe that to be a product of the journey of the practitioner inside, as few martial arts will teach you to prevail based on their standart principles.
    Krav Maga, Keysi, and Systema are martial arts based on the shortcomings of the human body, and preperation of the mind, rather than cultivation of the warrior spirit.
    Simply put, I believe these arts to be the most effective for the average everyday joe, who hasn't the time or spirit to become a warrior.
    They are effective because science makes them so, where as you and I are effective because WE make ourselves so.

Thanks for clarifying.

As for me, my top 3 would be:

1.) Krav Maga
    2.) Aikido
    3.) Judo

Those re the one's on top of my list since I'm not really familiar in some other martial arts.

Well put, and well chosen.
    I had a sparring partner and friend who trained in Akido and Judo, and I probably earned frequent flyer miles sparring with him!

Have you seen any videos of some of the ambassadors for these arts? They're all quite amazing. Check 'em out if you get the chance!

1)Krav Maga-David Kahn
    2)Systema-Vladimir Vasiliev
    3)Keysi-Justo Dieguez, and Andy Norman.

:laugh: ive never even heard of that style lololololol.

Which one, Jamaican? I would be more than happy to fill you in on the specifics of any of those three.

Administrator

Jamaican, welcome to this forum
    (Jamaica is my life-long dream of visiting)

Humblebee, I only heard of the first 2. What's difference between them and the last one?

Closed Thread